August 23, 2015

Fifth Wedding Anniversary!

Ok, we didn't go to France or anything but our fifth anniversary dinner was magnifique! We realized we make good food a top priority on our anniversary! The last 3 years (Melting Pot, Asiago's, Chandler's) have probably been our most expensive meals but definitely worth it! 

So here's the story!

I was a doofus - I had mistaken the steakhouse that I had heard of for the one that we received a gift card to and made a reservation at the wrong one! I was pretty bummed when we pulled up to Chandler's because I knew (Ruth's Chris) had something special waiting for our anniversary and I had heard good things about it, and because calling to cancel the reservation about a minute before we were supposed to be there also felt weird. Guess who's not in charge of reservations anymore? ha! 

It also meant we didn't have a reservation at Chandler's, so we had to eat at a table near the bar, opposed to a more quiet, secluded booth with a tablecloth. But the perk was that we were right next to this awesome pianist! To be honest, it felt too chaotic at first. People at tables all around us were seemingly loud and that mixed with the piano on the other side felt just as chaotic as the 1 and 2 year old I had just left at home after a busy week. 

But then whoever was so loud behind me left and the chatter died down and Devin could actually hear what I was saying and I kept catching measures of some favorite songs that this man was playing. And in perfect timing they brought out each amazing course and everything was perfect! 

(Unfortunately this post is iPhone pictures only)


Some of my favorite songs he played were "On My Own" from Les Miserables, I Say A Little Prayer For You (From My Best Friend's Wedding), Hotel California by The Eagles, and more that I can't remember but definitely enjoyed. It was a really good mix!


Devin could have cared less about the reservation mix-up, or lack there-of. So here he is being content as can be, wondering if he could someday do this piano gig at fancy restaurants when he retires :) ...he totally could!


Food, glorious food! I can't wait to go back. I loved my "Rocket Salad" with shaved asiago and pear and apple-cider vinaigrette with crispy onion straws on top. Devin's halibut dish was TO DIE FOR. He let me have a bite so I reached over and thought I was cutting into halibut but it was actually mashed potatoes that the fish was resting on (same color) and I let out a little surprised sound because it was so soft...haha we laughed about that for a minute. But then the halibut really was almost that melt-in-your mouth with that lemon cream sauce. seriously. I got lamb chops, like the true carnivore that I am, and they did not disappoint. Also so tender and they came with this small stack of potatoes au gratin that were out. of. this. world. I could have just eaten those and been so happy. And needless to say, dessert was a really good idea.

We were talking about our anniversary the year prior and how crazy it was that we had no idea I'd be having a baby the next day. This is making to be a busy weekend in our lives!

The best thing ever was coming home to both kids being asleep. That hasn't happened...almost ever. We were kid-free from 5:30 pm til the next morning! I had set up the tent in the backyard earlier that day because we hardly went camping this summer and that was something we REALLY had wanted to do. But Idaho's horrible fires brought a strong smoke smell in late that afternoon so even though the tent was set up we didn't really want to breathe that outside all night. So we "camped" in our living room.


I convinced Devin to play cards with me, something he doesn't usually enjoy. I had this deck of cards made on Shutterfly.com (free, just paid shipping!). We played Rummy 500, an old favorite of mine, to my Joshua Radin Pandora station, which was the best thing ever. It just kept playing the best songs and we were having fun and it was a perfect, "chill" night. I was happy we were relaxed at home and not on vacation, and not watching a movie for a change either!

5 years has brought us 2 kids, 4 places of residence, 5 cars, a boat, 2 peach trees, and learning how to grow together as a family, financially, spiritually, sharing responsibilities, and recognizing/appreciating all of our blessings.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. The food looks delicious! The whole night seemed perfect. I love those cards. What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete